Saturday, March 10, 2007

Not Worth Mentioning

Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's the healthy eating, but I've read 3 novels in the last couple weeks that have gotten so much praise that I figured them a sure bet. Picture the sound of the WRONG buzzer coming on. If I could only figure out how to write the sound of a WRONG buzzer. My new theory is that if you have a new book and you can get any friend or acquaintance or even a goon from the same publisher to give your book a quote, then by the time it gets to the reader...well, who needs us? You're already made, published. For example, one book was by one of the hottest, hippest gay writers out there right now...someone who was called a genius by gay writers I actually adore, was lukewarm and trite at best. I'm going to take the easy way out on naming these authors and not do it. I'm not a believer of slamming an author or three when I don't care enough about the books to structurally support my claims. So, my fellow rock stars, instead of commenting about new and exciting sleep-aids I have been wasting my time on, know that I will be writing on the magnificent new James Laughlin (auto)biography. It's ammaaaazzzzinnnngg.

No comments: